Photobucket

Mar 14, 2008

incredibly stoked

dumbbell
posted 14 March 2008 13:22

Well, here's dumbbell's olo impressions...

A good, sharp power tool does the work for you - no force needed; gentle pressure gives a smooth, clean, effortless result.

I’ve heard mixed reports on the olo’s wave catching ability. So with comments like “It doesn’t let you in early” echoing in the forefront of my mind, I’m surprised when the board slips me into the first wave I paddle for with ease.

With the peak forming to my right, going left was the easy option, but I’d heard the olo was fast, so decide to see what she’ll do - probably a more sensible choice for NOT my first wave... But it just takes off, and with pickup like a rocker-less fish shoots past the peak as it begins to throw lip onto glassy green face. At this stage, I have no idea where the sweet turning spot is, so I mush a half-assed turn to the pocket and link the wave thru to the next steep section, before stepping back towards the pointed tail, taking the board over the crest as the wave closes out in the shorey.

Wave one on 13 foot of wood, and I was still alive.

Wave two was a little harder to catch - I grab the rails and pull myself forward to get the drop. In the time it takes to do this, the wave turns closey, and as I slip straight down the face, certain I’m going to bury the nose, the wave forms one long tube that ain’t going anywhere but down. Miraculously, the nose doesn’t pearl - I would have eaten it here on both my own boards. I stay low on the olo till the impact settles, and bail. I’ve heard the board looks after you, and I’m thinking maybe it’s true.

I miss a few, and see a set-wave peak coming over my left shoulder that I want. I’m a little late, and probably in for a rinsing, but three strokes and I’m heading right from the top. The sun disappears behind the lip, and I can’t believe I’m getting a cover-up on my third wave on the olo. I’m out, wobbling a lot, and like my old horse after a jump that’s gone pear, the olo gets back under me, steadies me, and carries on the green glassy way.

I have many more waves this session, till the tide hits that point where the outer banks stop working and the inside ones are dumping. I’m late for work. And incredibly stoked, thinking I’m gonna have to get this cheesy grin surgically removed.

Thank you, Roy. The olo’s like a sharp skilly or chainsaw. You put it where it wants to be, and it does the work for you. I’m looking forward to my next sesh.

No comments: